Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Odi et amo


Before the days of Doctor Phil and "if he does it with you, he'll do it to you," there was a poet called Catullus who was enjoying sexual relations with another man's wife. 

About half way through the relationship, before it really began to sour, he wrote a poem entitled "I love and I hate." Shortly after that, things took a turn for the worse and his lover found fresher pastures, and if we are to believe Catullus, LOTS of other fresh pastures.

But this poem sums up the way many of us sewers feel about Spotlight. Fortunately here in Auckland, the sheer size of Spotlight confines it to the outer suburbs. There's still a space for everyone, and small draperies and quilting stores can make a living in the inner city area. 

I ended up at Spotlight yesterday on a quest for Fimo and while I was there I checked out their huge supply of patchwork fabrics.  I love the kiwiana range, but had to laugh at one which showed a possum munching away at a tree. Dear oh dear. And right next to a pohutakawa print! Ecologists be warned. 

There was also this delightful fabric. It could only be more perfect if they were little demi-tasse coffee cups instead of teapots. I bought some with the idea of lining my next hoodie, but it doesn't really match the sweat shirting fabric so I will have to find something else to do with it. 

Aah .. the joys of possibility!   

1 comment:

  1. Yesterday amidst a thumping headache I sat down and watched Dr Phil, just because I was alone in the house and I could watch grown-up tv. His quote of the day was to say to his guest "We all think you're cuter than a speckled pup".
    Cuter than a speckled pup?! Where does he get these sayings from?

    Anyway, back to the sewing. I like your new fabric, it's cuter than a speckled pup.

    ReplyDelete