Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Ugly fabric storyboard.


Here's my fabric, lining and top stitching thread, itching for action.

I'm getting my entry ready to sew up come June 1. I thought to myself, "one good lapse in taste deserves another," which is why I have opted for this McCall's denim jacket (M 5327 - out of print to my nothern hemisphere buddies but it's got another 6 months life down-under) to line with my ugly fabric. Oh that and it was half price. Ever the tight wad.




So then I thought, "a denim jacket, that's well and good, but what are you going to wear it with?' So I googled denim jacket images and it came up with many crimes against taste : le 90's, birthdate of le tacky denim jacky, has a lot to answer for.

Anyway, the best use by far of the denim jacket here:



and here:





but this was my pick of the others on option, and I like the pockets to the point I might have to copy them. The McCall's pattern has faux welts, which I loathe.




Also I think this has tres chic styling:



And I thought I might as well use it as an opportunity to improve my jacket construction skills so I bought a book on Jacket making. Will post highlights.

And low lights, for sure.

4 comments:

  1. Looking good :-) I think the red top stitching will tie it all together really nicely.
    Did you get your McCalls half price at Fabrica? What did you think of the shop?

    I've been eyeing up a couple of jacket making books on fishpond.co.nz - will be interested to see which one you've got - I've still not managed to figure out the bagged lining thing completely. My version is distinctly half-arsed, but nevermind. Onwards and upwards.

    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all for marrying Practical and Chic. I like the first, but hey, I know you can make whichever one work to look fantastic on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like those pockets, too! In fact, I'm digging that whole blazer. Nice find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a perfect addition to a Mummy's wardrobe. And a dog's wardrobe, as you rightly point out.

    ReplyDelete