Thursday, May 21, 2009
Well it's done. For a quick and easy project it took me quite a long time, mainly because I've been too sick to do the job properly. Like a drugee with a habit I have to sew no matter what, in this case, with a weepy eye, sore throat, ear ache, sore gums and headache. Thank you all for your get well messages. It's been a long dreary week in quarantine.
The salient message of this sewing project (and isn't there always a lesson to be learned?) is that you should always read the reviews on Pattern Review. I read one this morning, after I tried the jacket on Benjy before taking up the sleeves and found it was miles too big. The comment on the previous review? The sizing on these jackets run to HUGE.
Actually, I was in the Bernina shop the other day and Annette, the manager, commented on how refreshing it was to see Benjy with his trousers rolled up. "Young people these days, they buy clothes for their kids in just the right size! What a waste, they'll grow out of them in a month"
I think that is what Burda are getting at with this design (Burda 9828). Both sleeves and bottoms are designed to be rolled up so that as the children grow you can lower them and get more use out of them. Can't argue with that... in no hurry to be sewing more children's clothing.
On the advice of my sister I removed the front pockets. "He'll only fill them up with water from the hose." I did, however, add a name badge, just for the fun of it.
The burda pic: