I did, of course, make a few more adjustments to the pants after looking at the photos. I took in the front crotch below the zipper and took in the front thigh area where there is a slight "jodpur" look. I always get that, it's another by-product of flat derriere - the sides get pushed out.
I did not, of course, get all the sewing done that I hoped for. I took Benjy for his inoculations to the doctor on Thursday and he left with every other child's illness in the waiting room. We have had a weekend of diarrhoea, vomiting and sleepless nights.
I sewed this a week or so ago and I'm really enjoying wearing it. I borrowed the pattern from my sister (blogged about here) It's a shame you can't see the details of the panel construction. I made it out of my $3 70's op shop remnant so it has a truly retro feel. I opened the neckline slightly - just cut and turned under with bias tape because I couldn't figure out how to make a facing with all those seams coming into centre front.
Anyway, I notice Simplicity has revived the style, (Simplicity 2927) and I'd like to give the modern version a crack because it means I can use a big button. I love big buttons.
The retro pattern I used was from 1970 (excellent year) and I made the fatal mistake of not checking the sloper size used. It is designed for smaller, leaner, Pre-McDonalds years. It turns out they have graded the sloper up a whole inch - which is almost another size, so I got caught out and had to let out all the seams.
The bust darts are interesting. They take a western trail up to the bust summit. I can see that a direct assault would have worked better and I might have to go out and buy myself a french curve to move the dart over to a northern ascent.
I also discovered that Murphy's rule of nursing applies here: if you had a small bust before nursing it will disappear afterwards, if you started with too much you will get more. I have discovered to my horror that I now fit into Palmer/Pletsch's definition of "very full bust."
Long weary sigh.
Happy sewing everyone.