Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Leading myself astray

When me and my sister were kids I had the brilliant idea that we would pool our pocket money and save it to buy something special for me, with the idea that we would then pool it to buy something special for her. When it came my sister's turn I didn't think it was such a great idea anymore. She wasn't too obliging about the change of contract from memory.

Something kind of similar has happened with Benjy's play clothes. Now that I've finished my waterproof coat (photographer will oblige at the weekend) I've suddenly lost interest in the idea of his wet weather gear.

What's worse, I have a new piece of fabric and some new patterns to entice me away from good intentions. The retro patterns from Geek Sewing arrived today and they are even more fabulous in the flesh.




The front and back shaping on the dress and jacket pattern is really interesting and I think this will look great made up.

The shirt dress with tie is very clever. The tie covers the centre front zipper. This pattern was meant for my sister, but hey, why break with tradition? She'll have to fight me for it.




Then I bought this fabric I fell in love with at Global Fabrics. Polyester polka dots with dacron fill anyone? Yes please. OK I'm doubting the wisdom of this purchase but it seemed like a fun idea at the time. I'm thinking of making it up into Burda 12-2008-123 because now that I've traced off one Burda coat pattern I'm not scared of them anymore. (Do I need to say without breast pockets? No I didn't think so)








Does anyone have any special tricks for making it easier to apply sewing self discipline?

10 comments:

  1. I had a plan, honest - I was going to make another shirt , but then I saw a dress pattern (I really need a new dress - as I am going out to dinner next week), hang-on the wicking fabric to make gym tops arrived, maybe I should make that next - no , sorry don't know what you mean...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always led astray! You have some fun fabrics. I love the quilted fabric!! The burda pattern is perfect for it--looks incredibly difficult (for me anyway...). Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic vintage patterns! The Burda pattern looks awesome, but related to your raincoat -- the best part is the pockets. Your pockets always turn out perfectly, like your raincoat pockets, the coffee cup pockets, etc. I know you will do this Burda jacket justice because you will no doubt rock the pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will rock that entire jacket like Amadeus on quad-shot espresso.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have very effective way of getting to the stuff I "have" to do when there is something burning in the "want" to do category. I ignore the "have to" and do the "want to" first. I figure that if I'm already procrastinating on whatever it is I have to do, then I might as well spend the procrastination time on something I really really want to do. (Which gets done fast anyway). Then it's out of my system and I move on to the "have to" at exactly the same time I would have anyway, but with the satisfaction of some fun for me first.

    I'd love to see that jacket made up. I love that sort of shaping!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that jacket - I nearly traced it off when I borrowed that Burda off you the other day but ran out of steam. Looking forward to seeing how it comes together :-)

    And yeah...I'm totally not feeling the love for making things for other people anymore. Trawl Trade Me for some second hand puddle jumpers for Benji and save your precious sewing time for yourself, I reckon ;-)

    J

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a plan, but never follow it. I sew what I feel like when I feel like. The nett result is kind of random.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness, you really do have life-long guilt over that whole sorry saving fiasco. It was a valuble lesson for us both, I see that now. I've never "invested" in such a shonky scheme again!

    And I'm totally in line with the general tone of these comments. Sewing should be fun and creative, not a chore. Don't buy into sewing guilt! I say only sew things you want to sew.

    Having said that, I fully intend to claim that funky pattern, but it can wait till the next time I'm in Auckland. Given your sewing rate, you will have made it 20 times by then.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Guilt sucks. Slay the guilt! But oh, that story about you and your sister was so funny to read!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Neat post. There's an issue together with your web site in web explorer, would test this? IE nonetheless is the market leader and a good section of other people will miss your magnificent writing because of this problem.
    Here is my web page - Diet plans that Work

    ReplyDelete