Thursday, November 24, 2011

The Amy Butler Weekender bag



The mother Theresa of sewing for others has to be the Amy Butler Weekender bag. There is rather a lot of sewing in it, more if you count how many times you have to unpick and resew those tricky corners. (on average, 6 attempts per corner).

It's an easy bag, except the corners, so that makes it 95% easy, 5% tricky and if you get all Zen about it and accept that you have to unpick each corner at some point you could even say the whole thing is really rather manageable, albeit time consuming.

I added 2 internal pockets: one with a bias finished edge that is open with 2 channels.



The second is one that zippers shut, for all those things you really don't want to fall out if you have to open it in public.



The fabric outer is vintage upholstery I bought on Trademe. The inner is a medium bodied dress cotton which I got from the deceased estate sale. It's actually not stiff enough for the job, requiring additional stitching to hold it firm internally, and had I realised, I would have interfaced it to give it better hold.



This is an early birthday present for one of my sisters. I had to make it this month, my month of saintly generosity to others or she would never get it. Better early than never, huh?

If I was making this for me, I would have made it differently. I would have used the inside lining fabric for the piping, thus tipping it more towards 'whimsy' in style than pure retro. I'm glad I used the black though - it does look better and I thus proved to myself that I could show some restraint and keep to a tight aesthetic if need be.

When it comes to personal style I fall into 2 traps - being carried away by whimsy and refusing to adhere to the constraints of my colouring and figure. I know something is not a good colour but I persist - I know something will not show off my best features and yet I insist on making it. My downfall is not my lack of vision but my lack of discipline.

Oh well, you say, not a big deal, it's just a hobby. Yes, but it's a hobby that I have to wear every day of my life.

Just a couple more aprons to polish off for the rest of the month - and then it's time to say hello to "disciplined December" where I only make things according to the RULES.

20 comments:

  1. Can I be your sister??? I adore that vintage fabric. Love the colors. Beautiful work. I'm sure she'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAYYYYYY! I am THAT sister and I am so so so in love with this bag! Lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky me!
    Thank you, a million thank yous, for doing 48 corners just for me. It's gonna be great to be 39 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe that you made that bag for somebody else! Bags are so much effort. Lucky sister, because this is one groovy bag.

    I can't wait to hear which RULES you are following in December.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bag is fabulous. Bags take so much work. If it were me I'd have trouble handing it over. The fabrics you used are very groovy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous. I know how much work is in that bag cos I have a 2yo WIP of the same one. :) And I haven't even got to the corners yet. The piping has just about done me in.

    Oh & love that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Impeccable sewing as always Mary Nanna. I wish I was your sister too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Selfless Generosity November, Disciplined December, I can't wait for "She Goes Hog-Wild January!" lol
    The bag is fabulous. I would have gone for the whimsical piping too, but I can see that it looks very professional with the black. I am not surprised that your sister loves it!
    Good luck with the last few aprons. Suddenly, I am roped into making an angel costume for the school nativity play, whoops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with other commenters on what a nice bag that is, and so generous of you. I have held back sewing one like that, know it is time-consuming, has difficult bits AND can be very expensive to sew. Unless cute fabric can be thrifted or re-purposed, that Amy Butler fabric will cost an arm and a leg.

    I nodded along with your insights on discipline. I also depend on sewing and wear things til they come apart. Therefore, I better learn to love the finish product or love to learn what will work best in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely. Your bag-making skills are unparalleled. Rules? hmm, what are those?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You need to have a good talk to your mother because I am sure I am another one of those sisters ( lucky girl - 39 - still a baby . I suppose you will be the one making the rules. ANyway I will not complain about making short PJ pants for my offspring anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! This looks so fabulous, you did a gorgeous job with it.

    Making this bag and teaching it as a class was the push that nearly sent me over the edge into the abyss.

    AND you modded the pockets. Well done indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this is a difficult bag to do, and to give it away shows your very selfless and generous nature! Miss Smith is very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are you sure you want to give that away, even to your sister (sorry Miss Smith!)? That bag is so great that I would just pretend it was made in December and keep it....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE your bag. The Weekender bag was too much for me. I was actually thinking next time I needed to make it with slightly larger seams so it would be easier to work with the piping and corners. Or, I just need to leave it along :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I make something for my sister that I really like, well, I just borrow it ;).(sorry Miss Smith, the bag is sure to create covetousness among your entire aquaintance) This is completely fair as I do give it back the next time she visits. Is it my fault that she lives over 2000km away?
    I love the bag. Your bag posts are very bad for me though, as I always think it would be so great to have one and I know those corners would kill me.
    I am interested to hear what RULES are in December. This sounds rather disciplined to me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely bag. Lucky sis! I have an Amy Butler UFO half sewn, out of expensive AB fabric. The instructions seem to have been written by non sewing idiots.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I covet that bag! I've had the pattern for some time. Why can't I just make it already?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, this looks so beautifully made and I love the fabrics you have chosen for it.

    ReplyDelete