Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Burda 08-2009-106 "tummy tuck" pants.



I knew the first thing on my agenda post christmas would have to be something that involved a girdle and what luck that Burda should have designed this pair of jeans with one handily built in!



It had a number of details that interested me greatly - the high waist with two layers of heavy duty denim interfaced within an inch of their lives are not going to let those wobbles spill anywhere - top stitching, and I broke out a fresh reel of top stitching thread in my favourite shade of coffee - rivets and vintage buttons.

So all in all, fussy enough to keep me interested but simple enough to pull off in a week. They were pretty easy to sew but I have got a few gripes: the pattern is a variation on #105, which is designed for wool/blends. The thing is, wool/blends drape nicely and 1 and half inches of ease makes for a good fit. Denim has no drape, and 1 1/2 inches of ease is too much. Denim starts tight and eases out as the warmth of the body loosens up the weave. Denim is like its good friend linen: it grows a size on wearing.

All of this means that the jeans were too big. I ended up running them down a size.




Also, the burda blurb about these pants says something like "you'll be all legs with these pants" and you know why? Because they drafted them 2 inches longer than standard leg measurement - even though I shortened them my usual amount, and then some, with a 2 inch wedge they still dust the floor.






Oh well, better all legs than all tummy.

Costings: Denim, Global Fabrics, $30, Rivets $1.50, Tissue $2, Top stitching thread, thread, zipper, $6.50 Bernina shop, Buttons $1.50, Salvage, Interfacing, scraps, nothing. Total: $41.50

Ratings: (out of 5 stars)

sewing fun: ***** rivets, top stitching, mock flat fell seams at front, unusual cuff construction
wearing fun ***** very fun to wear, nice to have a break from my usual look, very 70's throw back with bell bottom shape
practicality ** must be worn with 2 inch heels, will probably scuff on the back, will need belt loops and a belt to keep in place long term. On plus size, easy care denim, very comfortable, relaxed fit.

20 comments:

  1. I am blown away! There is so much detail with the topstitching, rivets, oh my! I love the buttonholes...wow! The whole outfit is great. This pattern totally scares me! You nailed it, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way cute!! I'm glad you made these. I've been back and forth about them, but they are totally adorable on you. I must make them now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great jeans! wow! They are a very unique pattern and look great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm usually a lurker but I have to say I loooove those pants!

    And I completely understand and need the restraint through my tummy fluff.:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not have a BWOF subscription but ran across this pattern on another blog and fell in love! And you have made some head-turning jeans. Plus -- the sandals! I faint.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those pants - are the rivets had to do? I have never seen them in the shops - do you source them from fabric shops? Sorry about all the questions ... sewing denim is my passion of the moment and I love those pants - you lok great in them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I *love* your red sandals!!!! I'm such a sucker for red sandals! and your jeans are impeccable as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sensational pants. I recall having a pair of these in mushroom pink in 1975. Loved the girdle joke too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Despite the issues you had with the patterns, those are still some darn cute pants. They look fabulous on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the retro-ness of these, especially with those vintage buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love these on you! You did a fantastic job with the denim. I must dig this issue out and try it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look amazing!! You always pick the most interesting patterns - I just love the items you sew. Plus, you do such a terrific job! I am super impressed!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been umming and ahhing about these pants too. They look really good on you. The topstitching is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those pants are so amazing they could - almost - convince me to buy the Burda magazine. YOU look FABULOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look cool. I'd love to see the back. Are there pockets? I really like the vertical front seams.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think they should become a Tried and True for you as they suit you very well . They look VERY well made and I think they are a raging success.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so impressed by your sewing vision you know. I would have passed that pattern over without so much as a second look but they look fantastic all made up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Asia Industries is one of the leading rivet manufacturers in India. We are a renowned manufacturer and exporter of Chinese rivet button, rivet buttons for jeans etc.

    ReplyDelete