Sunday, September 6, 2009

The tailoring course


We have officially finished the course (3 days, 9-3 with delicious lunches provided) but we didn't quite finish our jackets. I just have to bag the lining, and Carol has very kindly agreed for us to go back in a fortnight and show us how to finish it off doing it all by machine. So this little baby is going to have to sit tight for another 2 weeks. I will have to break my strict, "one project at a time rule" because could I not sew for 2 weeks?

Na.

Here's the technical view from Burda so you can see where we're headed (Burda 03-2009-111). It's the same as 110, only the patch pockets and top stitching make it more informal, and I decided that would probably suit my lifestyle a bit better (and be a little cuter too). We had to shift the darts because the way it's styled the darts finish at the waist and are cut out through a side seam which is hidden by the pocket. It just wouldn't work for me though, the dart would have to be shifted so much it would be cut deep into the front panel and it would look very strange. I think these 2 angled darts work quite nicely so I'm quite happy with that alternative.



The most useful thing for me was using all the different pressing equipment - especially this, the point presser and clapper. Wow, what a difference it makes to collars being able to press right into the corners without catching all the outside fabric. The clapper makes seams incredibly flat, and gives a lovely finish especially on very bulky fabric.



I bought a whole lot of pressing equipment off Carol, the point presser as well as a sleeve press and a proper ham. I can now retire my sock ham, which was certainly a great port for a storm, but the advantages of a sawdust stuffed one are clear once you start using it.



What to make next? Hmm, in the words of my neighbour Jenni-across-the-road, time for "a palate cleanser." I've pretty much made about 6 coats or jackets back to back, so I might just do a few easy quick gratification projects. Or some mending. Either way, after the last 2 gruellers anything will seem like small fry.

7 comments:

  1. I actually love your dart placement...that was the first thing I noticed, so I was waiting to see the pattern...but they were your own invention and not a pattern after all. Cute pockets as well. i think I'm gonna put in a request for pressing tools for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I have not yet cut out or made my coat or done any other sewing straight away I feel like I want to save up to go on another of carols courses. Your jacket looks lovely by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that point presser looks really handy. That was an eyeopener to me too when I took a course earlier this year, there are several things that we homesewers just don't have access to that makes a big difference in the end result. I really like the double french darts too, it gives the jacket an interesting shape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The french darts really accentuate the shape of your jacket, love it. I agree, there's nothing quite like having the right pressing tools on hand. Great sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I SO love this jacket, and one of my favourite features is those beautiful buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The darts are very unusual and attractive, and in my mind I think, "Ah, those FBA gals need not one dart, but two!" They give the jacket a lovely shape.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, that jacket is looking great. I hear you on the pressing equipment - I first saw point pressers at University mumble mumble years ago, and raced straight home and described it to my then boyfriend. He very kindly built me one which I use constantly. (I still have the point presser, but the boyfriend is ancient history!)

    ReplyDelete