Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Vogue 1051 for lazy people




Back welt pockets. Look like sly eyes, don't they?






The famous "Alice + Olivia" pant much loved on Pattern Review. One of Vogue's "average" patterns that reads much better in the french : "moins facile". Oh yes it's less easy all right. You know how much less easy? 64 steps less easy.

I knew immediately I was not going to be making all 64 steps first time on a pant. Pants are just too unpredictable. I've been down this path before. Loving crafted fly shields and what not only to have the lot sag and bag because I didn't tape the waist.

So I was not embarking on a 64 step muslin. No siree. But here's the lazy way. Throw out fly shield and draft on a front extension.Front pockets? Gone. My front storage is built-in thank you, and there is plenty of it. Back pockets. Oh I suppose so. Can't really call it the Alice and Olivia pant if I don't employ at least one of the details.  

Besides, I have a "flat dierriere"  (honestly that is the quaint name given to it by fit experts .. not complaining, beats "saggy arse") and it could do with a little spicing up. 

So here's my muslin. I'm likin' them despite being a little big. I had another "ah ha" moment. Maybe I am making my trousers a size too big? There's a lot of bagging, but it could be my fabric choice and a heavy hand with the alterations for a big tum. I am paranoid about making them too small, tis my problem. Nothing looks worse than the saveloy effect, aka "muffin tin."  

I also choose a fabric with a little stretch and disobeyed the instructions about cutting the facings on the warp of the fabric because the stretch only ran through the weft. I have been duly punished. It is sagging through the waist. 

Still, I love the concept of them so I'm going to make them again, only smaller, and only 32 steps. 

Happy holidays everyone. 

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Mary Nanna, and happy new pants to you. They look fab.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could I have missed this post? Funny! Pants look great, sly eyes and all. Can't wait for the real deal.

    ReplyDelete